Haddo House & Country Park on Facebook Haddo House & Country Park on Twitter Haddo House & Country Park on YouTube Haddo House & Country Park on Flickr

a remarkable place, make it yours to discover 

Map & Directions

Rollover or tap the numbered markers below to get your bearings.

Haddo House
William the 2nd Earl of Aberdeen built Haddo in the 1730s in the classical style of William Adam. Later Earls and Marquesses remodelled it in line with changes in taste and comfort. Haddo House was bequeathed to the National Trust for Scotland in 1978.
The Chapel
The Formal Gardens
The 2nd Earl laid out the formal gardens close to the house. Diggings from the foundations of the original house were used to form the terraces. Guests admired the vista from the drawing room or strolled on the terraces.
Haddo House Hall
The 7th Earl designed the hall for community activities. It had tennis and badminton courts, a library and rooms for lectures and amateur dramatics. With its superb acoustics the Hall later became an internationally famous venue for opera and drama, hosted by David and June Gordon.
The Game Larder
Essential services like the peat yards, game larder and gas house were kept out of sight of the the family’s living quarters. The Game Larder now houses an exhibition about the house and grounds.
The Peatyards
NTS Shop & Cafe
Visitor Centre
The Waterloo Monument
Erected by his ‘disconsolate sister and five surviving brothers’, the Monument honours Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Alexander Gordon, the 4th Earl’s younger brother. He died serving the Duke of Wellington at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. His memorial was designed to be seen to best effect from the house.
The Pheasantry
The 7th Earl built this unusual red and yellow brick building in 1884. It was used to rear exotic pheasants. Pigeons nested in the octagonal doocots on the roof.
Adventure Play Area
Children have always been welcomed at Haddo. The 7th Earl invited schools to picnic on the lawn. One member of the family learned to swim in the fountain‘s ‘foully smelly pea-soup water’. Today children enjoy slides, climbing frames and playing games in the amphitheatre.
The Golden Gates
The 4th Earl built the Golden Gates across the Scots mile around 1847. The gates have recently been restored to their former glory.
The Lakes
The lakes were created in the mid 1830s by damming the Kelly Burn. When the Upper Lake froze, blocks of ice were transported to the Ice House to preserve food in the days before refrigerators. With its boat house, water lilies and swans, the Lower Lake was given over to pleasure.
The Scots Mile
This avenue measures about 1.12 miles, the distance of a traditional Scots mile. At the time of Queen Victoria’s visit in 1857, it was described as being ‘bounded by lime trees and chestnut trees, with a number of foreign pines and other rare trees’. The 6th Earl planted Victoria Avenue in honour of her death in 1901.
The Giant Urn & Deer Statues
The 4th Earl erected the urn flanked by statues of fallow deer stags in 1848 in memory of his beloved first wife and three daughters who died of tuberculosis. The inscription reads ‘Haud Immemor’- ‘Never Forgotten’.
Kemble’s seat
Philip Kemble, the celebrated actor and friend of the 4th Earl, often visited Haddo to escape the temptations of city life. He used to sit on this natural granite ‘seat’ to learn the lines of his latest part.
The Pleasure Ground
The 4th Earl and his distinguished guests planted ornamental trees and exotic shrubs. A sunken wall called a ha-ha kept out grazing animals. He extended his pleasure ground by draining a peat bog to create a semi-wild woodland. Do hobgoblins live the oddly-named Doolies?
The Balustrade
Victoria & Albert's Wellingtonias
Tennis Court
The Veteran Beech
Red Squirrel Hide
Dog Park

Download this Map

Haddo Map Small (PDF, 45MB)
Haddo Map Large (PDF, 190MB)

Accessibility Map

Download a map showing path surfaces, location of steps and benches and approximate distance measurements. If you would like to suggest more information to add to this map, or have any questions about accessibility at Haddo please get in touch via our Contact page. 

Haddo Accessibility Map Small (JPEG, 3MB)
Haddo Accessibility Map Large (PDF, 30MB)


Access to Haddo is from the minor road linking the B9005 Ellon - Methlick road and the B999 Tarves - Methlick road. Signposted from Ellon, Pitmedden, Tarves and Methlick.

FROM ABERDEEN (approx 30min) - at the B&Q/Blackdog roundabout take the left turn signposted to Tarves. Continue following signs for Tarves, then brown tourist signs for Haddo House

FROM ELLON (approx 10min) - from town centre follow signs for Methlick and the B9005. Once out of Ellon, cross the Ythan bridge then continue straight on, following brown tourist signs to Haddo House.

FROM INVERURIE (approx 20min) - take the B9170 via Oldmeldrum towards Methlick, turn right at Formartine's cafe, following the brown tourist  signs for Haddo House.

Note - many satnav systems won't give correct driving directions to Haddo, and may try to send you down private roads.  Please follow the directions above or the brown road signs to get to the main entrance. Do not use any road or track marked 'for estate vehicles only'.

PUBLIC TRANSPORT Public transport to the area is limited, and no buses come direct to Haddo. It is possible to catch a bus to Tarves or Methlick, both of which are approximately 3 miles (4.8km) away from Haddo. From Ellon:  buses to/from Ellon are regular and from there several taxi companies will pick you up from either the Ellon Park and Ride or Market Street, Ellon.

In 2017 visitors will be able to use our new Tarves-Haddo Cycle Link. Simply catch a bus to Tarves then collect a bike (adults and childrens bikes available as well as child seats and towed trailers) from the Tarves Heritage Centre which will allow you to cycle in to Haddo. 

CYCLE ROUTES National Cycle Route 1 runs beside the park. Access to Haddo is either along on the main entrance drive, or there is a traffic-free route through the park itself accessed via the Craigie Wood car park.

View fullsize Google Map